Wow just read an interesting article on News24 about IDOLS South Africa. FYI: Idols is a television show on the South African television network M-Net, based on the popular British show Pop Idol.
Is Idols really a scam?.
The Alleged Process:
” 1. Thousands of hopeful musicians turn up on Audition day, many having slept on pavements in order to get a good place in the queue to audition before the judges. Myth! – They will NOT appear before the TV judges.
2. Contestants are put into groups of 10 to audition in front of an independent “judge” – who could be a music teacher, a singer or similar. Only 1 or 2 of the 10 will go through to the next round.
They will choose someone who is either very good or very bad. So… If 4 very good contestants land up in one group, tough … only 1 or 2 will go through.
3. The next round of auditions are held 1 or 2 days later. When the contestant walks into the audition room, he/she receives quite a shock….the TV judges are STILL NOT there. The producers, directors and the entire Idols camera crew await his/her arrival!
4. This audition drags on, as the contestant has to answer many questions. His/her life, interests etc. are put under a microscope. Last but not least, he/she performs.
The producers inform the contestant that they will be in touch to advise whether he/she will audition before the TV judges. This only happens 2 weeks later.
Now why would that be? This is the opinion of those I spoke to :
The producers and directors spend the 2 weeks going over the footage they have.
They decide who looks good on camera, who has an interesting story to tell and who they think the actual finalists could be. It’s All about putting on a really good TV show. They need girls and boys, from different race groups, different genres, versatility and very importantly interesting characters.
5. At the audition before the TV judges – those I spoke to said they believed the judges’ comments are scripted. That they have to say what the producers tell them to say, including whether it’s a Yes or a No to Sun City.
6. Now we all have seen on the TV show the person sitting at the door who hurriedly writes the contestants number onto the Golden ticket. Well one former contestant said the Koki ink on his Golden ticket was dry as a bone. As if it had been written out the night before.
7. Next they proceed to Sun City for theatre week – This takes place months before it is aired on TV. This year it was mid-April.
•This season – The Acapella performances – they went up in groups of 5 pre-decided by the producers. Each judge was armed with a script sheet provided by the producers. AGAIN, the judges had no say whether it’s was a yes or no.
•Contestants booted out early, from theatre week are surprised to find their air tickets home, in their names, booked about a month previously!!
•The Top finalists are decided on before theatre week. NO time is wasted by taking all that extra footage of every single golden ticket winner (just in case they make it to the final). The cameras are already focusing on the chosen few. A few other characters are filmed, just to make it interesting.
•Group stages are NOT scripted…But, it doesn’t matter how badly the contestants sing, the pre-selected finalists WILL go through. This stage of the “competition” is merely for them to get footage of the finalists, to highlight stories around them, in order for the viewers to become familiar with them, and/or start choosing their favourites.
10. Many things are manipulated at the live shows in order for Mnet to make sure that things go their way. Song choices, styling, filming techniques, lighting, sound can all influence how a performance is perceived by the public. Add to that the reaction and comments of the judges, which may or may not be scripted at this point
The Final 2 vote is audited and none suspect tampering. But…. do we know for sure if the previous results are audited? Mnet also shuns that question every year when disgruntled voters cry foul and demand to see the voting results. Why don’t they publish the results and shut people up already?.
11. Consensus is that Idols is not a singing competition it is a TV show and it needs to have good AR ratings in order to be able to receive the money it needs from its advertisers. The money they receive from voting is an added bonus. So all of the contestants and the public who vote are just puppets in their hands, who are manipulated into doing what Mnet wants. ” – Angela Matthews (News24)
Wow its shocking. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was true. We live in a corrupt country, with a corrupt government. Actually things like this, shouldn’t even surprise us